DSC_0041

Vatra Dornei

Vatra Dornei is a municipality in the county of Suceava, in northeastern Romania. The city is located in the historic region of southern Bucovina. In the census of 2011, the town had a population of 14,429 inhabitants, being the fifth largest urban center of the county. It was declared a municipality in 2000, the most recent and smallest municipality in the county of Suceava. Wah is known since the nineteenth century as a resort and winter sports.

Demographics

According to the census conducted in 2011 the population of the municipality Wah amounts to 14 429 inhabitants, down from the previous census in 2002, when it had registered 16 321 inhabitants. Most inhabitants are Romanian (92.77%). For 5.93% of the population, ethnicity is not known. In terms of confessional majority of the inhabitants are Orthodox (88.96%) with a Roman Catholic minority (2.2%). For 6.11% of the population is not known confessional.

History

Dorna existence is attested since the time of the founding of the state of Moldova, according to a legend that links the village name to the founder of a tragic love Dragos Voda. It would be in love with local girl shepherdess Dorina, which killed a mistake and, in her memory, he decided that drama that happened near water bear her name.

The first document of the city dates from 1592. On 14 May 1600 Michael the Brave sent to Moldova army led by his general Baba Novac. It follows the way through Candreni over Mestecăniş, to Campulung and then to Suceava, Moldova Mr. Jeremiah mound in pursuit.

After 1775, Dorna into Austrian hands, along with the rest of Bukovina, and the inhabitants of Dorna Deven serfs Campulung royal domain. Conflicting fact that last almost a century. Residents are taking rights innkeeper, fishing, milling, put them on meadows and forests fees and are forced to perform unpaid work in various municipal works initiated by the crown. They also must give authorities tributes in kind (chickens, wool and wood). Dorna fair territory is carried out numerous bloody conflicts that end up significant loss of life. In 1884 a judgment of the Austrian authorities formally punished one of the local oppressors with a “severe reprimand”.

Residents Dorna trying to end oppression and grievances through repeated complaints to the king and local authorities but they may not be settled until around 1850, when it repealed the old constitution and start Austrian 11-year period of monarchical absolutism.

Municipal and urban evolution of the locality Dorna is heavily marked by the discovery of huge mineral waters spread over an area of ​​several dozen square kilometers known shepherds place since 1750, it was christened them “springs Burcut” (name borrowed Hungarian probably “borviz”). A scientific research Dorna mineral waters of the country is known in the literature around 1790. The chemist Hacquette of Nuremberg realized in this period relatively complete analysis of waters and adjacent localities Candreni Dorna and SAR. Official recognition of the importance of mineral springs and a complete analysis of their studies due out in 1805 by Dr. Ignatziu Plusch. This first deal of mineral waters in Poiana Blacks and then, in 1810, to submit to authorities in Vienna first signals about the disastrous state of the bathrooms Wah and a fountain in Poiana Blacks, with a proposal for a relative systematization of their .

Dr. Plusch writings and reports that, in their primary form, the bathrooms were made with water drawn from the well of ill John Spring, located only 200 steps from the royal road. Bath preparation is done at home sick. For this reason Dr. Plusch proposed development of a resort on the private property of said aforementioned spring involving the technical and material help of the owner of the mines of Iacobeni, Manz of Mariense.

Project planning of baths proposed by Dr. Plusch, approved by Decree administration on 17 January 1811 and the engineer Buholzer receives order to construct a building with six baths in which the water is brought through a pipe and then flow through gutters.

In 1870 the Romanian Church Fund buys bathrooms Wah, known as Spa Institute, with ownership of mineral waters. For patients stands a building with 20 cabins, the place where no hotel will be built later. 1 and Wah Casino.

A description of the resort around the year 1880-1895 notes resulting from Crasuschi engineer, former director of mines of Iacobeni. The springs were captured primitively. They showed some square holes fenced with planks and covered with tree bark, without any insulation. These pits were filled with dirty water with rust in singing frogs. From these sources leaking through chutes, in barrels placed on beams. For these barrels water flowed through pipes to where the metal was heated and there tubs. In total within the locality Wah were harnessed 15 mineral springs.

A new stage in the development of the spa resort of records in 1895. At this time the geologist Stur undertake a geological survey of the resort Wah and the land on which it is located. Based on this study designs and develops resort after 1895.

In 1899, the main objectives of the climatic health resort Wah are completed and inaugurated. These include: John Spring (later called Spring Unirea), Spring and Spring Ferdinand Sentinel, all in the vicinity of the casino. Discovered in 1871, Sentinel Source is arranged by the former director of mines of Iacobeni in 1897. Initially, he was named Minister of Agriculture of the former Austrian Empire, called the Spring Falkenhein but Dorna Romanians constituted in 1898 to 1901 in patriotic cultural society “Sentinel” deciding to grant this spring famous behalf of their institution. By spring 1948 called “23 August”, returning to his old name, Sentinel after the 1989 Revolution.

Some buildings have become architectural monuments of the village include spa establishment built in 1895, the proceedings were executed with carbonated water and mud of Dorna.

City Wah developing since the eighteenth century around the resort spa and simultaneously with it. By 1774 Dorna is dependent Around Campulung and therefore has no seal, no governor. Right to seal and governor or mayor is acquired only in 1823, but continues to exist under the suzerainty town of Campulung Governor until 1853.

In the years after 1853 written sources of local history mention about the riots both inhabitants against recruitment by force, about the construction in 1830 of the bridge Armenian crossing the Bistrita River in the Chilia and the countless persecutions to which they were subjected the inhabitants of Dorna by the Habsburg rule.

In 1848, during the period when the mayor is George Burca, instead of the current bridge was built from the market, a bridge was called “the vicilicilor” (both inhabitants participants in the revolutionary events from the late eighteenth century).

A year later, in 1849, is peeled from Galicia and Bukovina elevated to duchy. This action helped to raise the rank of Dorna village fair in 1855 and its inclusion in the official documents of the Habsburg rule in the name of Wah. In the same year, on 9 September, a Joint Worcester County Joint Office Dorna, similar to the Prefect.

In the coming years more and more mention of local history about both inhabitants grievances, complaints about their appearance at Emperor Franz Joseph I of Austria, the involvement of major personalities of the time, and Eudoxiu Hurmuzachi in their struggle for social emancipation and administrative.

In 1868 creates Câmpulungului Prefecture, and after 1872 when it disbanded the Imperial Campulung start administrative village development closely related to the development of spa resort.

Between 1850 and 1875 it lasted more Dorna governor and mayors. Newspaper “Awakening” in Chernivtsi wrote: “In 1875 Wah was not a village, but fair and the new joint committee there was in big trouble because there was no suitable man for mayor. On election Mayor captain comes Worcester, calls the new committee elected and says that it would be better to choose the mayor a man with book, because Wah them now fair and a man without a book never could govern a community like this . All scholars of the new committee to question the captain said “Amen”, only Vasile Deac boldly said ‘No,’ and although he was illiterate man. Deac captain asking him who cries that would be good mayor, Deac replied: “I reckon that would be the best!” And you know what happened? All scholars of common shouted “Yes! If Deac it gets to be mayor, then he best! ‘”

Installing Vasile Deac mayor of the city, coinciding with the period when the study by scientists of the time and by the administration of Bucovina and Câmpulungului Wah spa resort development.

In the next decade Deac’s installation, in Chernivtsi Church Fund becomes the owner of mineral springs and spa so-called institute. At this juncture it is more and acute problem in the municipal baths development of already known resorts in Europe. Helped by architects and scientists, the owner of bathrooms prepare a draft for construction of buildings of treatment, accommodation and leisure, which wants to materialize outside the urban development of the village.

Church Fund project is subject to approval in 1883 by Emperor Franz Joseph and its approval, the project took on the possibility entry into execution. How To Think authorities Church Fund does not agree mayor Vasile Deac, in consultation with architects and scientists recognized in the period, concludes that the only way to force the development of fair while health resort is requesting an audience with the King Franz Joseph. Get the audience to the king in 1886 and, with it, the approval for the urban development of the village Wah, the central territory of which were to be installed Municipal Palace, the National Palace, the primary school building, Gara Gara Mare and Spa, Roman Church Catholic and Hebrew Temple.

First and having set aside the sum of 60,000 crowns for the construction of the Communal Palace and 30,000 crowns to build a Romanian school of three classes, he passes the execution of projects. Construction works approved by the king are led by an Italian craftsman who installs Wah expense mayoralty in 1895, begin construction of the Communal Palace, held simultaneously with the construction of the elementary school. Communal Palace in the village operates an inn, instead inns that have disappeared by the end of the eighth decade and a restaurant, which lasts until 1938.

In the fall of 1897 and put into elementary school building (now School no. 1). Prior to completion of construction of the Communal Palace, Vasile Deac begin construction of the National Palace, which was to house the headquarters of the Company cultural and cabinet reading “Sentinel”. “Sentinel” is the first Patriotic Association of Romanians in Wah, acting consistently izbândirea national ideals. During his mandate Vasile Deac are built also in 1902, the station known from the station (railway station Wah) tying for first Suceava Worcester and start construction Station Wah Spa, which is given into use after the death of the mayor. Also during his tenure Vasile Deac works are designed and partly launched Hebrew Temple and the Roman Catholic Church. This is hit by two shells during World War I, the bruises are still visible in the eastern wall.

Wah is declared a city of the Austro-Hungarian Empire on 17 December 1907. The First World War battles bring ridge mountains around the town of Wah on it and turning it into a fortress resort of the Austro-Hungarian army. Stationing of troops Worcester lasts almost two years, during which destroyed the town and the resort, but after the union of Bukovina with Romania the question restoration and management of the baths. In 1919 it formed a consortium that leased the spa establishments within a year. The action is repeated in 1920, 1921 and 1922, but conditions are unfavorable lease administrator (Church Fund) that offers tenants while earning huge revenues owner is ridiculous.

Subsequently, the auction is determined by a shift in administration of the same consortium baths term of 20 years, but the successful tenderer does not fulfill its obligations but rather initiate several actions for the rights repudiation Church Fund. The dispute is ended by the intervention of the then Minister of Agriculture, prof. Dr. Iancu Nistor, who leads the Romanian state to allow direct labor Church Fund bathrooms operation, giving three million lei advance establishments rehabilitation and restoration of damage during the war.

Mayor Peter Bustle King Mihai I had this spa resort establishments in the following terms: “The public visiting this resort in the postwar years has been fully satisfied the expectations of what it offers. Of course there were shortcomings in resort development. Missing sewers, aqueducts, asphalt or paving city streets, etc. These works could not be carried out until now because they lacked the necessary funds. It should be known that the parish of this city struggling with severe financial burdens because revenues do not flow into the municipal treasury, as almost all visitors who come to Wah believe. Direct revenues of the state belongs to the Church Fund which was before the war and is today the owner of the establishment bathrooms. Or, Church Fund never contributed income from spa establishments with nothing at the city municipal works. Meanwhile cure any fees charged by forces not within the treasury committee spa municipal administration but are used for other purposes. Communal Administration has been and is today obliged to cover urban needs of the city and the seaside resort Wah only by its own means. With all these injustices and hardships ingrate, I honor the local authority to lead is currently the culmination of its effort to establish water supply and sanitation. I’m a very pleasant duty to show that only thanks to the understanding that I found it to members of the government headed by Prime Minister and Interior Minister Gheorghe Tatarascu and agriculture minister prof. Dr. Iancu Nistor, I received the wide contest as water and sewerage next three years to be realized. “In this way the health resort town of Wah and fall during their emancipation modern town.

During the World War II and especially its second part, the years 1943-1944, the seaside resort Wah suffer severe damage. The new political system after 1945 to take over the resort by nationalizing effect from 11 June 1948 to begin a campaign of reconstruction and modernization of all the objectives which were the property of the resort. From 1950 onwards, the seaside resort Wah enters into operation at full capacity until 1989 and continues to develop in all areas: health, leisure, rest, etc. In 2000, the city is elevated to municipality.

Culture

Centre for development of cultural activities in the municipality majority Wah is the House of Culture “Plato Pardău”. Here are held exhibitions, theater performances, folk performances, local art exhibitions and other events. Inside the building there since 2002, multipurpose hall “White Room” where they symposia, debates, meetings, small concerts, exhibitions of paintings, graphics, sculpture, ceramics and photography. Culture House is located in the city center on Station road no. 2 and poet and writer named Plato Pardău originating in Wah.

Museums

Museum of Natural Sciences and wildlife in Vatra Dornei, located on Unirii Street. 3, was established in 1952 and was formally opened only in 1957. It consists of two sections: the fauna and flora of the area and Dorna and Hunting Department in Suceava. Exhibits are presented flora and fauna in their natural rendering issues, which gives more attractive to the visitors. They deal with issues of nature conservation, taxonomy, phylogeny and ecology. The ground floor of the museum collection presents hunting. Vertebrate animals are presented in order of evolutionary fish, amphibians, reptiles, birds and mammals. The museum also includes an interior hunter (performed with a horn fallen fur, pheasants and heads of deer naturalized) and Hall Trophy (exhibits trophies fur trophy horns and trophies razor gathered from this region ).

Wah Ethnographic Museum, located on Strada Mihai Eminescu nr. 17, town hall, was established in 1987 and provides an overview of folk in the mountain area of ​​Bucovina. The exhibition is italic main areas of folk art, ethnographic structured in mountainous areas. Top concerns are illustrated inhabitants of these lands by presenting popular artistic phenomenon. Also, they are the two occupations Dorna area: livestock and rafting. In the museum two traditional interiors were reconstructed in the area, which introduces harmony and charm of a peasant house interior organization. In the collection are copies of Bucovina folk, craft tools and pottery from Bucovina.

www.inforegio.ro

“Investim în viitorul tău ! Proiect selectat în cadrul Programului Operaţional Regional şi co-finanţat de Uniunea Europeană prin Fondul
European pentru Dezvoltare Regională.”

„Conţinutul acestui material nu reprezintă în mod obligatoriu poziţia oficială a Uniunii Europene sau a Guvernului României”
Pentru informaţii detaliate despre celelalte programe co-finanţate de Uniunea Europeană vă invităm să vizitaţi www.fonduri-ue.ro